The Real Pearl :Barley



Firstly, all the good things about Barley

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/glossary/g/barley.htm

The only bad news...it has Gluten.

Barley is my best food discovery of the year though since it is another addition of rich protein and fiber to our semi-veggie diet. Kids love them because of their texture.

I was reading 2011 Spring's issue of Baby & Toddler. That featured a recipe of Barley with cooked Zucchini and Yellow Squash. It is among the best whole grains to add to our diet, esp kids. Since, I am a novice cook where this grain is concerned, I definitely did some research on recipes. Finally, I went the safe way. I made a simple Khichdi (Pongal for some, Porridge for the rest) with Moong Dal, vegetables, cumin and butter. How wrong could you go? Also, I had to keep it a bit bland since my son was accompanying me on this lunch menu.

Here's what I did:

I actually soaked 1/2 cup of Barley in the night.
For cooking, took 1/3 cup of washed Moong Dal in a Pressure Cooked, handful of chopped veggies (peas, carrots, beans), butter cumin and garlic.
Fried everything for few minutes till it filled the house with a buttery aroma.
Added the soaked Barley and fried for a minute or so.
Added salt, pinch of pepper
Added 2 cups of water
Closed the lid of the pressure cooker and cooked till 3 whistles, or till everything is well combined.
I should have sprinkled some chopped cilantro on top for added flavor, next time!




My son enjoyed it as is, I devoured with some Onion-Gongura Pickle. Yum!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Lunch : Spinach Panini

Whole Wheat Pasta with Asparagus and Grape Tomatoes

Chicken Parmesan - can never wrong